We have finally begun our exciting £2.3 million museum redevelopment project: Room to Grow, set to bring expansion, employment and tourism to Skinningrove’s Iron Valley. The project has been made possible by financial support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, the Coastal Communities Fund, the Tees Valley Combined Authority and the generosity of private donors.
Room to Grow
Construction Target Met: £2,275,000
Interpretation Target to be funded: £350,000
Your donations can help support our redevelopment, our future and our local community.
Stage 1 – Completed
With the help of experts whose background experience includes Scarborough Museum’s Trust, the British Museum and Imperial War Museum, we reviewed the museum’s operations from the ground up and implemented strategies to ensure its success.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) funded a review of the organisational structure, policies and procedures, financial strategies, marketing strategies and trusteeship of the museum. This was then implemented with the assistance of an internal Project Manager and external experts.
Stage 2 – In Progress
Construction finally began in September 2021 on a large extension to the existing museum.
The new building will include:
- An extended museum space for visitors to explore and learn at their own pace.
- A flexible exhibition space, which can be converted to accommodate temporary exhibitions, art displays and live performances.
- Offices and a volunteer room to provide a larger workforce with a warm and comfortable environment.
- Environmentally-controlled archive and object store and viewing room for public access to our collections.
- An expanded education space, allowing us to better support large school groups.
- An extensive model of the "Zig-Zag Railway" which once climbed the valley side, transporting goods to and from Skinningrove
12 months of events and exhibitions
In the first year of opening, our new museum space will host:
- 3 Major exhibitions
- 3 Live performances
- 20 Family activity events
- 9 Adult talks
- 12 Adult walks
See the latest updates on the project
Project Update - 29th July 2022
Staircase completed, exhibition room painted
Project Update - 22nd July 2022
We have windows!
Project Update - 15th July 2022
Fire escape installation, lift and BMS commissioned
Project Update - 8th July 2022
Flooring, folding wall, door fittings and electrical second fix